Road Trip Time
Summer is almost over BUT that doesn’t mean you can’t go for that ROAD TRIP you have been telling the family you want to go on. Now is the perfect time to take your loved ones out on the road. Are you up for some FUN? Then grab up the kids and dog and jump in the car for a ride. You can do a day trip or better yet a week-long road trip. Road trips make the best memories and great stories.
First thing first though…do you have the right vehicle for a road trip?If not then you need to check out Legacy Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM for all the cool road trip vehicles.
Got Car Checked?
You need to check your car before heading out on the road trip! While every summer adventure can be left to chance, car trouble is the most unwelcome companion on a road trip. If you have an older car, then take to your nearest dealership to get it checked out. Make sure to check out the website for coupons on maintenance.
List of pre-trip vehicle check
- Gas Cap: Check the gas cap for any damages. If it is damaged, loose or missing, you will end up having gas spilling or evaporating. Wasted gas and money.
- Tires: Check the tires for any kind of damage, fraying; check the tire pressure and tread as well. Under-inflated tires would reduce fuel economy and may also burst to cause accidents. If you find uneven wear, you probably need a wheel alignment. Keep an eye out for bald spots and bulges.
- Brake system: Quite the lifeline for you and for other others on the road, the brake system must be checked thoroughly. Very important if you will be driving long distance, hills, and in traffic.
- Battery connection: Ensure that the battery connection is tight, clean and corrosion free. Keep battery charger in the trunk.
- Hoses and belts: The hoses and belts are crucial for the correct functioning of the car systems including its electrical system, power steering, air conditioning and cooling. Check if these hoses and belts are brittle, frayed, cracked, loose or showing signs of excessive damage and wear.
- Fluids and filters: All filters and fluids must be checked such as the engine oil, brake, transmission, power steering, windshield washer solvent and coolant/antifreeze. This is essential because besides causing car breakdowns in extreme cases, dirty air filters also end up wasting gas and causing loss of power in the engine.
Besides the above, you might want to actually switch to summer tires. These have a great grip. It will stop shorter, corner and accelerate better. However, if you have all-season tires, it would give you a smoother ride due to the added tread blocks.
Remember to get your car cleaned thoroughly. Especially the undercarriage because the engine and transmission run hotter with added layers of grime. Also, carry an extra bottle of coolant and put together a smart summer road trip kit for road emergencies and you’d be all set to go for your summer road trip