A family road trip in the winter season is something a lot of people do, and during the holidays you want everything to go correctly. Traveling can be very unpredictable due to weather, vehicle, and of course your family!
Here are some tips to assure you have a plan and have a smooth road trip to grandma’s house.
- Before the trip make sure your vehicle maintenance is on point. Take the car into the service department at your local car dealership. You want to make sure everything is working properly like all lights are in working order, tires are inflated, wipers working, fluids all topped off. Good idea to keep extra fluids and water in the trunk. Making a vehicle maintenance list and checking it twice is always a good plan.
- Best time to leave is sunrise and get to your destination by sunset. Getting on the road early you have better odds to beat the traffic.
- Comfort is also essential. Make sure you have pillows and blankets just in case someone wants to take a nap, some people can sleep but others can not.
- Pack snacks and water. It is a good thing to have a cooler in the back seat for snacks the kids or yourself can munch on, like fruit, granola, or any other snacks that don’t make a lot of mess.
- Keeping it safe. Safety comes first when you are traveling somewhere in your car with your family. During the winter you will want to make sure you have extra clothes, jackets, gloves because it can get cold out there in the winter. Also have a box with an extra flashlight, first aid kits, extra phone chargers, shovel, flares, and other tools you might need in the snow.
- Entertainment. Have a bag full of books, coloring books, crayons, pencils, and couple toys for young kids. Also, download movie/TV apps onto your phone plus get a few game apps, they will keep you busy during high peak traffic times.
- Pack the car with all the presents in first because you don’t need those until you get to your destination.
- Have a list of places you might want to stop for food and rest stops.
- Pick up a postcard at a gas station so you can have a memory to put away regarding the road trip.
- Play Holiday music to get everyone in the mood!