Want to go on that long road trip that you have been planning for ages? Well, it is time that you finally do it. While you might worry about your car, a few maintenance hacks are all you need to make this dream come true. So, stop worrying. Take the necessary precautions for your vehicle and drive away.
Necessary car maintenance hacks for going on a road trip.
There are a few things that you need to check first. They are the first few things that are bound to cause trouble if not checked beforehand.
Check the car manual
- Check it thoroughly for all the details about the car and do not forget to keep it in the glove compartment for emergencies.
Look under the hood
- Check if all the wirings look right, whether there are any leaks and if the drive belt is damaged in any way.
Check the engine oil
- Do not forget to make a proper check on this one. The dipstick used to test the engine oil should show the mark to be close to the ‘FULL mark’ after the inspection. If the oil appears to be too black, then it is better to change it.
Check the automatic transmission fluid
- If changing the transmission fluid is due soon before any trip, then it is better to get it done. Usually, it has got a pinkish red or red color when it is new. With time the color changes to more brownish. So, the color is your queue to replace the transmission fluid.
Check the engine coolant in the overflow tank
- Check the car manual for directions to find out whether the engine coolant level in the overflow tank is alright or not.
Check the battery of the car
- Check for any leaks, cracks or damages in the battery of the car. The terminals should be tight and not corroded. New batteries last for 3-6 years, but it is a good idea to change the battery every 4-5 years.
Check the air filters
- Dirty air filters will cause a lack of power, and the air you breathe inside the car will not be fresh enough. If you want to change them by yourself, then you can take a look at the car manual for the directions.